Why You Should Always Choose White Resin Fillings Over Metallic
If your child’s teeth need filling, you have two options: a metallic silver amalgam and tooth-colored porcelain. Many people get silver fillings because it’s the cheaper alternative. But while it’s more expensive, porcelain white fillings have many more advantages – both in appearance and health.
Porcelain fillings match your child’s teeth so seamlessly, they look just like their natural smile! Porcelain fillings can also strengthen their teeth. Plus, they give you the peace of mind that your child is safe from the heavy metals that might be present in silver amalgam fillings.
If you are choosing for your child, go with white fillings! And if you are looking for the right place to do it, then make an appointment with Children’s Dentistry of Manatee.
The Dangers Of Silver Fillings
Compared to porcelain, silver amalgam fillings are cheaper and have been around for longer. But there are several downsides when it comes to these silver:
- They can cause tooth and gum discoloration.
- Because they aren’t securely bonded to the tooth, there is still a risk of infection.
- Many people report new tooth sensitivity because of their metallic fillings.
- Silver amalgam could contain traces of mercury – no amount of mercury is safe for your child!
Why Porcelain Fillings?
Although the American Dental Association has deemed silver amalgam fillings safe, we still recommend white porcelain fillings for most dental needs. This is because they come with many benefits, both functional and aesthetic.
The most obvious upside of porcelain fillings is that they blend seamlessly with your child’s other teeth, making it look like they have no filings at all. There are many other reasons to choose white fillings over the silver amalgam ones, like:
- There are no heavy metals in your children’s teeth or in their mouths.
- It’s less likely that bacteria will grow in the gaps between the filling and the tooth. The fillings are securely bonded to the tooth with UV light, sealing every crack.
- Porcelain fillings can actually strengthen teeth.
- Silver amalgam requires more tooth matter to be drilled away. With porcelain, you can keep more of your natural tooth.
- Porcelain fillings are easier to work with, so your child will spend less time in the dentist’s chair.
Is It Worth The Extra Spend?
Yes, absolutely. White porcelain fillings make your child’s teeth stronger, blend seamlessly with their other teeth, and reduce bacteria growth. It’s more than worth the investment!
Why A Children’s Dentist?
Any dentist can do fillings, so why go to Children’s Dentistry of Manatee?
Simple – from the moment you walk through our doors, your child is our #1 priority. We understand that most kids dread going to the dentist, so we make sure that our space is welcoming, our doctors are kind, and our procedures are quick and painless. Best of all, we have rave reviews from plenty of happy customers!
Get in touch with us and schedule an appointment today!